Friday, May 2, 2014

First big deadline: hit!

Yesterday I was able to release version 0.4 of Too Many Snakes to my beta testers.  Right on schedule. Being done by June is looking like a real possibility.

My C++ level solver worked beautifully.  What used to take hours in lua now takes seconds.  It's especially satisfying when the solver comes up with a better solution than I could find.  I essentially made a program that's smarter than me.

I was also able to finish designing 30 additional levels and tighten up the controls.  I changed a couple of things that should make it a lot less easy to make mistakes.  First of all, I'm now checking the actual sprite being touched rather than just the grid space that the user puts their finger down on.  I noticed a lot of people had been having issues when they tried to drag a character by the top of its head, which can overlap into the space above.

I also fixed my bump mechanic.  Rather than immediately bouncing characters when the user pulls them into an occupied space, I made them stick until they're pulled over half way into the occupied space.  I also took a note from apple's book and made the character have a 1:1/2 relation with the pointer index when being pulled into the blocked space so it looks like that space is giving greater resistance as the character is being squeezed into it.

So now, code-wise, there are only two big tasks left: create the final 20 levels and design my hint system.

By the way, if any of you reading this has an iDevice and would like to help beta test, you can sign up here: http://tflig.ht/1dKv0ew
The more testers the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment