Thursday, May 29, 2014

On the dissappearance of time

Ugh.  How is it almost June?  Wasn't it April, like, yesterday?
As the tone here has probably given away already, this month has not gone as smoothly as the previous month.  I'll give myself that getting the solution-shower working was a much bigger task than I had anticipated, but I still feel like I've been slacking.

At some point I'll make a detailed post about my solution finding algorithm, but one thing that really tripped me up this month is that I had a bug in my algorithm that took me forever to track down.  I had actually been modifying the solution finder to get it to print out a more detailed, step by step solution for my hint system when I ran into it.  So of course I assumed it was an issue with my new modifications.  I swear I must have simply stared at my code for hours, hoping it would suddenly relent and reveal its hidden flaw to me.  This can be one of the most frustrating things about programming, and it really took a bite out of my motivation.

When I did finally track down the bug (which was causing my program to not always find the optimal solution) it turned out to be an issue in the old part of the code that hadn't changed!  I just hadn't caught it before.  And worse, it was one of reasons my c++ solution was running so fast.  Fixing the bug suddenly made my solution finder take forever and gobble up memory like it was doing in Lua.  Luckily it did give me an idea for optimizing my algorithm so I was eventually able to speed it back up again.  But by then, May was almost completely gone.

So now it's June for all intents and purposes and a I still have 20 more levels to create.  But things are moving again.  If I can get these done quickly, then I might still be able to wrap everything up for a release in July.


No comments:

Post a Comment